I think there is really nothing much more stressful than family togetherness time during the holidays. My other brother and his family arrived today and it is now mass chaos. Delightful at times, exhausting at others. The key for me is to go into the holidays with realistic expectations. I used to hope that this year would be the magical change. We would all be happy and have no arguments, no diseases, no sickness, no pain, nothing but joy. Ah yes, sigh. But, it's a much shorter fall when you go in knowing that we will still annoy each other and still be thankful for each other and still be even more thankful that we don't live in the same town.
But all in all, there is nothing like family. Nothing like Ryan's face when he sees me each morning. Nothing like hearing Mike chat about school as we put together his new Star Wars lego spaceship. Nothing like laughing with my sister-in-law and being grateful for our friendship. Nothing like tickling smooth little bellies and hearing peals of laughter.
I am grateful to feel grateful this evening. Does that make sense? It's hard to keep my spirit up right now. I am in ski country with a broken ankle. I can't snowshoe. I can't sled. I can't tube. So, I have little pity parties sometimes and feel really frustrated. Yet, this evening I am grateful. For this family. For this life. For these moments.
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment