My nephew, Mike, hurt his finger today on the playground. So off we headed to the hospital to get it x-rayed, like normal people. His finger wasn't broken. I'm not sure anyone really thought it was; however, in light of my current situation, we're not into waiting for a couple of weeks.
You know, it's funny. My grandfather was a doctor, my Dad and brothers are doctors, my sister-in-law is a nurse...yet, my family has never been one to race to the hospital. In second grade, I broke my wrist. My parents didn't take me to the hospital for about 12 hours because Dad thought I would be fine. And then, my cast didn't come off until after a week or so of me complaining about pain. Finally, the cast came off showing enormous blisters on my arm. I was allergic to the fiberglass in the cast. Oh yes, and then my father touched a power line with his chain saw and was thrown off of the ladder from electric shock, but he refused to go to the hospital.
And here I sit, two weeks later. At least I have a better story now. I was a bit bummed about the whole pine cone thing. Although I did throw a mighty mean scowl at that pine cone, it didn't help.
People keep saying I must have a high pain tolerance. Maybe I do. Maybe I'm just ignorant. Regardless, I am now fitted in a comfy, enormous walking boot. Don't worry. I won't be sneaking up on anyone anytime soon. If you want to sign my boot, I have a new set of metallic permanent markers handy.
On a different note, I've decided that, if at all possible, I'm never opening Christmas gifts without a child present again. We celebrated Christmas tonight and it was so fun. Mike and Ryan were hyper for two hours prior in anticipation. Ryan picked out my present days ago and has continually been showing me the box, asking me to guess the contents, shake the package. Tonight, we sat down around the 6 inch tree and Ryan shoved the little package into my hands. He scooted his little body next to mine and practically tore the paper off for me. It was delightful to watch someone be so excited to give away a present. He bought me bright, shiny, snowflake earrings that he picked out himself. I love them.
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You know what your blog is sorely missing? Pictures! I would love to see you and Ryan in a great big hug while you are wearing your new dazzling snowflake earrings. I know that photo op happened. Maybe there was not a camera around... you know what a photo person I am. ;-)
Post a Comment