I am currently writing my 100th blog entry. It seems appropriate then, that I finally figured out where the title of my blog comes from. "So it is" is a line from the song, Blower's Daughter, by Damien Rice. I love that song. The cello in it is amazing and moving. (I used to play the cello. I still have my cello actually. It's only slightly larger than a guitar because I was little when I played.) A friend was going through my iTunes the other day and put that song on. I stopped in my tracks and thought, 'that's my blog!' I know, I know, it seems strange perhaps, but the brain is a funny thing. A memory of that song created the title, then the memory was tucked away somewhere, only to be aroused when I heard the song. I've always found the memory interesting. Why can I remember some things in such detail while other things slip away? Why do I suddenly remember something I had forgotten to take to school when I am already 20 minutes down the road? Why do I suddenly forget my best friend's name when I am introducing her to another friend? Why does a particular scent or three notes of a song take me immediately back to a certain moment in my life?
I'm currently reading 'The World is Flat' by Thomas Friedman. I'm right in the middle of reading about the uploading/blogging/podcast phenomenon. I am a part of the globalization process. It is interesting that I am sitting on my bed typing away on my apple laptop, posting the entry, and what I think (right, wrong, or indifferent) is accessible around the globe. That is unbelievable. I remember in 10th grade, my Spanish teacher wrote a website site on the chalkboard and I thought, 'what the heck is that?' Now, I have my own personal website, friends I email all over the globe, and I talk over the computer via skype. Not to mention the little device that is a computer, calculator, alarm clock, camera, phone, iPod, and calendar all-in-one, popularly known as an iPhone, that is lying next to me on the bed.
It's funny to me that I can call someone on their cell phone and not have any idea about their actual physical location. The number stays the same, yet the location may change. My cell worked from Honduras, people! Yes, it was expensive, but it worked!
I'm convinced the world is flat. But, I need to keep reading anyway...
Sunday, February 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment