Thursday, February 28, 2008

Yes, I can do this.

I have come to hate the question, "Do you think you can do this?" in reference to my job as a social work. Yes, I can do this. Yes, I love what I do. I consider it an honor to be involved and invited into people's lives at the rawest, most painful moments, the most vulnerable places. Yes, I can do this. However, I cannot do this without it affecting me. I have suddenly entered a world where in one day, today I spoke to two individuals who had overdosed (wanting to die) and had conversations with their families. I watched as one of the patients I have been following was sent home with hospice. I listened to a girl talk about her best friend who had overdosed and died on heroine. I listened to a man talk about his wife and 7 month old son who were killed in a car accident. I listened to a woman talk about her fiance who took his own life. She still wears her engagement ring. I listen to these things. I ache for these people and the pain of humanity. Yes, I want to do this. Yes, I can do this. Please stop asking me that. Please sit and listen to these stories and tell me that you would not also be affected.

No comments: