Friday, May 23, 2008

for this moment

Rob Bell writes, "It is trusting that I am loved. That I always have been. That I always will be. I don't have to do anything. I don't have to prove anything or achieve anything or accomplish one more thing. That exactly as I am, I am totally accepted, forgiven, and there is nothing I could ever do to lose this acceptance.

God knew exactly what he was doing when he made you. There are no accidents. We need you to embrace your true identity, who you are in Christ, letting this new awareness transform your life."

As I try to find a job and prove myself worthy, intelligent, experienced, and capable, it is comforting to remember that I really don't actually have anything to prove. Because I am nothing without the grace of God.

I admitted to someone the other day that I often struggle with not feeling good enough. I worry that I won't be perfect, basically. That I won't be a good enough daughter or friend or girlfriend. That I won't accomplish enough in life or bring positive change to the world. But, then I read what David writes in Psalms 139:5: "You hem me in-behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me." Whoa. The hand of the Lord has been placed upon me. That is incredible. So, just for this moment I am going to let go of all fear of not being enough, all fear of the future, and rest in the one who has hemmed me in.

No comments: