Saturday, May 31, 2008

nutella

I am currently sitting in my cousin's apartment in Birmingham, England. He and his wife just moved here for his job. So, Melissa and decided to swing by for a stay since we are in the area! It's a bit surreal to be visiting my cousin in a Birmingham very far away from the Birmingham I call home. Next to me is a cup of sencha mango hot tea. I purchased the tea yesterday in Covent Gardens in a little haven of tea choices.

I do love traveling. I love the accents, the different languages, the crazy foods, the memories that exist between the people traveling together. I like the way it makes me appreciate customs different from my own and I like that it makes me appreciate my country even more.

Even though I have white skin and speak English and blend in relatively well with the British, you can absolutely tell that I am a tourist. For one, before crossing the street, I still look left, then right, then left again. No, no, Alison, the cars are coming at you from the right. Two, I don't walk in an exciting city. No, no, Alison trots, runs even. Poor Melissa, I keep leaving her behind. It took me three days to slow down and meander and saunter even. Three, the average Brit drinks several cups of tea a week. No,no, Alison drink a minimum of five cups per day. Breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, post-dinner, pre-sleep, etc. It is truly delightful. Four, I am an American and speak with a southern accent. No, no, in Britain Alison slips in and out of a British accent and has started saying things like "cheers" and "mind the gap" and "where is the lou?"

So, staying in Stephan and Katie's apartment is quite a treat after our hotel in London. I know, I know, you get what you pay for, but really? Melissa and I ended up having to rent a triple room because there weren't any doubles. Sweet, a little exxtra room, right? Noooooo. Three single beds pushed together, a chair, and a sink and a two inch walkway around the already stated. Oh yeah, and a hairdryer that lit on fire and blew smoke when Melissa tried to use it. Oh yeah, and a TV with four stations with horrific news about death and the elderly being taken advantage of. But, you know what, we slept like babies after walking (or running) around London for roughly twelve hours each day. However, I am still grateful for a bathroom on the same floor as our room and a carpet that is clean to walk on with bare feet.

We visited Warwick castle today. I love castles. Especially when there is a jousting tournament going on outside the castle. Somehow, I really built the jousting up in my head. I was expecting "A Knight's Tale Part II" complete with blood and spears and fire rings. No, no, it was more like WWF but with jousting. Totally rehearsed, totally hilarious. And you know it, I loved every minute of the whole silly thing.

I will post pictures as soon as I return to the states. We are off to the Lake District tomorrow and then on to Ireland....cheers!

No comments: