Monday, September 17, 2007

the chitlins

This summer in Utah I went to church with my nephews. I really like sitting with them because they are allowed to have toys and coloring books during church. Sometimes I need help sitting still too. However, the funniest thing about church to me was the comment the lady always made at the end of the children's story. After the prayer, she always said, "Now boys and girls, please go quietly back to your seats since we are in God's house." I thought it was a strange comment each time. I understand that you don't want the kids going nuts necessarily and there is power and holiness in reverance. Yet, for some reason, I believe that the God I personally worship is a noise-loving, rambunctious God who delights in the authenticity of his children. I guess I just don't want my nephews to grow up knowing rules. I want them to grow up knowing God. A God who is alive and powerful and deeply in love with them, just their crazy, silly little selves. And I was reminded of this desire as I read the following line from Elizabeth Gilbert's 'Eat, Pray, Love.' "Be very careful not to get too obsessed with the repetition of religious ritual just for its own sake...Flexibilty is just as essential for divinity as is discipline." I long to be in love with Christ, not just my church. We serve a changing, unknown God. So, it would follow for me to be steadfast in my love for Him and comfortable in His plan that moves me along through a changing world and changing life.

1 comment:

elizabeth said...

(this is elizabeth by the way)
i love this post!! so true, so true.
i am going to adopt that mentality with our kids. freedom in Jesus is huge! and i feel like most adults walking around today are totally unaware of how deep and relentless Gods love is for us.
i always heard a cool quote and love it...fear makes slaves and love makes sons and daughters. nice one!!