There are days when I am overwhelmed by the grief in this world. Yesterday, I listened to a dear friend talk about her devastingly painful divorce. Today, I listened to a friend describe an incidence of physical abuse to a child. Or the friend who's baby has suffered a severe brain injury. Or the friend who is about to give birth to a child with Edward's syndrome. I read about war and death and poverty and discrimination. And I don't have answers. I don't know the why's or how's. Sometimes I want to just gather up everyone I love and hold on tight.
But, then I glimpse these moments of beauty like the elderly woman and her son sitting in the sun rays at Aldridge Gardens today or hearing my own laughter and having a short moment of embarassment at how loud it was in the restaurant.
And I recognize that I love and hate this world. I love the beauty and delight and even the trials that make us wiser and stronger and more patient. And I am so thankful that we have each other. I have my Jesus, but I am ever grateful for the sound of my friends' laughter and the hugs from my parents and the smiles from my nephews. I believe these things are Jesus too.
Monday, September 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment