It is August 21, 2008. This means that I have been 26 years old for one month now. I keep forgetting that I'm 26 and telling people that I'm 25. By the time I get it right, it'll be too late.
I opened up my journal from the this time last year and read that I was about to start my last year of school. I was in the middle of a heartache. I moved in with Claire. And I was still driving the red jeep. Now, one year later, I have a full-time job, I don't have to study at night, I live in my own apartment, I'm in love with a boy, and I drive a blue XTerra named Midnight. I apparently really take delight in naming things. I named my car although I never actually say, "I'm headed out with Midnight." I do actually still look for the red jeep about once a month though. I'll stand in the middle of the parking and look around really expecting to find my baby jeep. I guess ten years does that to a girl. Anyway, back to names. I have recently named two cats, two lizards, and a gnat. The cats are Norman and Spook. The lizards are Trooper and Chaos. The gnat is gnipsy. I don't actually own any of these animals. I just see them around and figured we should become friends, which to me, means a first name basis. So, I bestowed upon them the first name that popped in my head and thus, they are. Now, I'm sure once I have a child, my brain will reverse and heaven forbid, I'll ever be able to name the poor kid. But, since Apple is taken, I'll go with kiwi or mango. Oh yeah, I'll just name my kid after my favorite fruit. Then, she'll never get made fun of or have a complex or hate me forever.
I like the stage in relationships when the other person looks at the menu and says, "ahh, I bet you would like that" and it's just what I was thinking of eating. That happened tonight with Aaron. He knew just the thing. So, to throw him off, I ordered the fetticini topped with steak. Yes, even I was surprised.
Thursday, August 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oddly enough, I still see red jeeps and turn expecting to see you before I take a split second to realize what I'm doing.
Does the menu thing make you/me predictable? I take it as a good thing, though I'd probably order something completely different, just out of spite. And if you know me, you'll call the bluff.
Oh, and Sandstorm and Bookcase are already taken for baby names. I might even go ahead and claim Pomegranate, too, just to be safe.
Post a Comment