Friday, October 24, 2008

May I

It's funny how distracting pain or self-pity can be. I'm sitting here at my desk about to leave for the week. It's been a long week. And, as a glanced to my right, I noticed an empty picture frame and immediately felt a little twinge of sadness or lonliness. But, I look next to the frame and there is a mug from Amy W. that I received on my 26th birthday because she knows how much I love hot tea and beautiful mugs. And on the wall is a collage made by Amy B. as a gift at some point in my life. It is covered in sunflowers and bright colors and fun quotes because she knows I love these things. And above my desk is a hand-stitched serenity prayer that my mother found at a yard sale and got because she knows how much this prayer means to me and my job as a recovery helper. And there are kitty pictures that my co-workers and I have made for each other. And there is a diploma representing my education and the gift of time and money that was poured into my life to help me be successful and happy. And there are fun shoes on my feet and bouncy balls in my drawer and a glow-in-the-dark braclet on my wrist and a fake tatoo on my arm. May I never lose sight of the fact that I am loved completely and may I never chose to focus on the lesser and lose sight of the greater. May I never take for granted what I have and may I open myself up to loving better and accepting love in all of its forms.

No comments: