Monday, August 27, 2007

No gravity

Another gym story (at least that means I'm working out, right?). Today as I was walking to the cardio room I stopped to watch a group of kids in the aerobic room. They were playing a game where when the music is playing they dance like crazy and when it stops, they have to freeze in place. It was delightful to watch. I mean these little kids were getting down with their bad selves. One kid in the corner was working a little Michael Jackson. A few girls in the middle were throwing around cheerleading poses. I loved it. I love that these kids had no sense of shame or self-consciousness. No, my friends, these kids were told to dance and they danced. Now, put a group of adults in a room and tell them to dance when the music plays and you better believe the situation would be totally different. "What did you just ask us to do?" "Dance!? I don't know how to/like to/want to/have to dance! No way!" "But there are people watching us!" Oh that we could just take on that childlike attitude and embrace the fact that it doesn't matter. Yes, we can dance. Whether we have rhythm or not, we can move our bodies in utter joy to the music. Maybe next time I'll just pop in and join the kids. I'm sure they wouldn't mind and I've always wanted to learn how to moon walk.

No comments: