Sunday, April 20, 2008

Paolo Nutini

At the wedding last evening, one of the other guests (my parents' age) asked me if I have any prospects. I looked at him and said in all seriousness, "I already have a job in Utah." He looked at me. I looked at him. And then, the aha! moment. We weren't talking job prospects, we were talking men. And, thus, my favorite conversation starter took off and was carried on by at least ten other people in the room. I always leave an event like this, one where well-meaning loved ones try to catch up on my life in short conversations, feeling a bit frustrated. Please ask me anything except, "So, is there someone special in your life?" Yes, I want to retort, I've got Jesus and my Daddy and my Mommy and my roommate, etc.

I told my parents this at lunch today and Dad suggested that I just say, "Nah, I've just decided to trade in a meaningful relationship for sleeping around." He's right, that probably would shut people up.

No comments: