Tuesday, April 22, 2008

ugh

I'm very dissatisfied with religion and church right now because there doesn't seem to be room for questions. I made the point in my former Biblestudy that I think searching is such a beautiful part of our spiritual experience. I am so glad that I walked away from what I was taught as a child so that I could turn and fully experience God in a uniquely personal way. However, I didn't feel that my comment was met with much enthusiasm or even understanding. It's just that I think we all may be worshiping the same God, we just worship Him in different ways. Or it's just that I've never experienced a relationship that wasn't ever-changing, so why should I expect one from the Lord? I mean, I know that He loves me and I love Him, but there are changes and new conversations and experiences and these things change the way I view, interact, and experience the Lord.

I think Sue Monk Kidd writes it well in her book 'When the Heart Waits,' "Frankly, the folks who frighten me the most are those who are dead certain about everything, who have all the answers and no questions. Have we Christians forgotten the transforming value of a question? When we extinguish questions from our lives, there's little if any developing consciousness. We block ourselves from new truths and possibilities."

I think it might help Christians to be more open to possibilities instead of always being right. I'm not interested in having a conversation with someone who is always right and will not listen to anyone else. I'm interested in an exchange of ideas and information. I'm interested in knowing what is important to someone else and then having my say. I'm tired of the "Either I'm right and you're wrong or I'm wrong and you're right." There are more options than this.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

beautiful.

kmoody said...

so i have been a closet reader of your blog since jacob showed it to me; i love reading what you have to say. and after reading your most recent blog, i just have to speak up and say, AMEN! you are well-spoken, wise, and witty, and i am thankful that you're sharing your words with the world=)
-kelly