Sunday, April 13, 2008

What is normal?

The other day, Paul (my supervisor) and I walked down the steps of the hospital from the second to the first floor and out into the lobby. At that moment, I heard, "Hello?" I looked at Paul with some alarm and asked if he had heard that. You see, I'm always afraid that I'm going to become victim to the things I study about and am witness to on a regular basis, namely a psychotic break. Luckily, Paul said, "yeah, I hear that." Thank goodness. We waited for a moment and then again heard, "hello?" There was a woman stuck in the elevator and she was ever so politely trying to get someone's attention. If that had been me I would have been a bit more deliberate in my attempts for help as in "somebody puullleazzz get me the fuck of here!"

So, Paul and I leave the hospital and hop in the car to head to the office. All of the sudden, I hear, "Hello, hello?" Seriously. I look around (a bit frantically) while Paul calmly stares ahead at the road. Ahhh, then I realize Paul's phone that he puts in it's little carrier on his hip has accidentally dialed someone and he doesn't realize it. So, the little voice is indeed coming from his phone and it turns out to be his brother actually. Thank goodness. Another day of sanity.

No comments: