It is interesting to me that I spend and earn money constantly, yet I rarely actually see or touch or feel or smell money. Process: Babysit. Get a check for babysitting. Deposit money in checking and savings. See money pop up on my online banking statment. Pay for dinner with a debit card. Watch my savings earn $.03 in interest. Write a check for tithe. Babysit. (Study so I can get a real job in the near future.) And so on. End of process. Notice that never once did I actually hold a dollar bill or a coin in my little hand. So, money exists in an abstract way.
I have to brag for just a second. I went car shopping today. BY MYSELF. It wasn't bad. Actually, it was kind of fun to speak totally for myself. Normally, I let my father or brother speak up for me on car issues. But, notebook in hand, I marched into three dealerships, stated my wants and needs, and looked at lots of cars. The first salesman was well, such a salesman. Annoyingly so. The moon came included in the deal if I just signed on the dotted line and handed over my credit card. The second salesman didn't know a thing about cars. I kid you not. He knew more about the colors than if a car had four wheel drive. Peace out dude. And then, ahh, the jeep dealership. A man my father's age showed me around and knew more about jeeps than I could ever even want to know. And let's be real, I love a jeep. And if I was a true jeep enthusiast, the brochure let me know that there is a jeep camp and lots of jeep gear to be bought. Maybe a gym bag....
A conversation I forgot to mention that William and I had the morning before I left two weekends ago:
W: Alison, are you going to stay and take care of us?
A: No, honey, I have to go back to school.
W: School!? Don't be silly. Grown-ups don't go to school!
A: Well, actually they do. School just stops being fun.
W: Oh. Well, who's your favorite teacher?
A: Umm, I guess Ms. Terrell.
W: Ms. Terrell. I bet she's soooo nice.
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment