So, I'm babysitting this weekend. It's strange to suddenly be in charge of two children, two dogs, a cat, a fish, and a house. Normally, I just go about my merry way and take care of myself and my few possessions. It's strange to sit here proped up in a bed in someone else's big house. I just observed my surroundings. I am in a beautiful house filled with beautiful things. I wonder if I'll ever have a house. One that I own. Probably. Right now, I have some furniture, a TV, a computer, an IPOD, a car, a mattress, pots and pans, books, photos, a phone, clothes, too many shoes, jewelry...I already have a lot of stuff. Actually, the other night I had to laugh as I plugged in my computer, phone, camera, and IPOD. Is that normal? We live in a strange world.
Well, I have a confession. I'm actually looking forward to Christmas this year. Sometimes I just don't really get into Christmas. (The month long holiday with obligatory gifts, family outings, hugh meals, repetitive music....plus December has always meant exams) I don't know why but I was excited to see the lights up at the Summit and hear the first strain of a Christmas carol. Normally, I get kind of bent out of shape at dealing with Christmas before Thanksgiving. I've already started thinking about Christmas presents. I want to make applesauce and cut down my own Christmas tree and have my annual cookie decorating party. Maybe it's just the fact that we'll all be together on Christmas this year. (by all I mean the Downs clan of 11). You see, Christmas day in my family has varied a bit. With dad being a doctor, sometimes he had to work on Christmas, so we would just work around his schedule. And then the brothers ran off and got married, so I had to learn how to share on the holidays. But this year, I get everyone again. I like that. Because, as much as some family members just drive me bonkers, they're family. I'm getting so dang sentimental.
One interesting story before bed. Question: What is the normal speed limit in a neighborhood? Around 35 right? So, I was cruising down Brigid's street Friday night taking her home, when woowooowoo-blue flashes-woowooowooowooo. Bummer. I pull over, hand the cop my license and wait to find out what I did wrong. Apparently I was going 38. Okay, a ticket for 3 miles over? Oh no, the speed limit right there is 20 mph. You heard me. Count it by 5's...5, 10, 15, 20. Oh dear, so 18 mph over the speed limit is reckless driving. Wouldn't that be a fabulous story. Oh, yeah, I got a ticket for reckless driving. How fast were you going? Oh, a strong 38 with my 'little sister' in the car. Thankfully, the cop came back with a bright yellow warning! Yea!! I'd like to say it's because I'm so cute, he just couldn't give me a ticket, but I doubt the deer-in-headlights look is that attractive.
Saturday, November 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment