Wednesday, November 28, 2007

two by two

I'm sitting here cozy in my bed with my laptop propped up in my lap. I've just had a bedtime snack of my choosing and I'm about to hit the sack. Yet, as I enjoy the simple luxuries of living, I am reminded of the hundreds of homeless men and women who came through the lunch line at the Noah Project in Detroit on Monday. Amy helps coordinate the project and I helped out with lunch that day. As I looked in their faces, I was reminded that we are not so different. I could be one of them, a homeless woman. They could be me. A slight change in circumstance, a disappearance of abuse or drugs or money problems, a second or third or millionth chance and it could be different. One man asked if I had a good holiday. I told him that I did and asked about his. He replied, "It was fine. I mean, I'm homeless, but things could be worse." I wanted to cry out, "how could it be worse!? How?" Instead, I gave him a smile along with a packets of mayonnaise and mustard for his sandwich. Last time I mentioned thanks, I wrote about hobbies and friends and little joys. But tonight, I'm thankful for a man who reminded me to be thankful for basic things, things I take totally, absolutely for granted. So tonight, I am so grateful for a warm place to sleep. I'm thankful for access to clean, running water and a toilet. I'm thankful for a phone and place to receive mail at a permanent mailing address. I'm thankful for healthy food of my choosing. I'm thankful for access to knowledge through school and books and the internet. I'm thankful for access to good medical care. I'm thankful for a clean toothbrush and straight teeth. I'm thankful for clean clothes and a washer/dryer. I'm thankful for options and back-up plans and family support and forgiveness for my mistakes and hope for the future. I'm thankful to know Jesus, my only answer in this crazy world. So, tonight after 9 long hours of class and 2 hours of driving that I honestly comlain about every Wednesday evening, I ask a pardon for all the blessings I take for granted as if I have a right to my life.

No comments: