Monday, October 29, 2007

oh dear

I remember when I was little and experienced deja vu. I thought I was blessed with some sort of spiritual gift. I thought that for a while actually until my Mom mentioned one day that she had just had a deja vu. She burst my bubble of spiritual blessedness. I also remember that I realized on different occasions that certain smells brought back memories of people or places or events. I, again, thought I was so special until, you guessed it, someone mentioned a smell that reminded him of that time...Another bubble burst. However, I have now confirmed my 'specialness' based on two recent events. One: this past summer I drove my brother's jeep wrangler. It was my first experience driving a stick shift. And I loved it. Absolutely. Not to mention that my brother's jeep is awesome. Huge tires, all kinds of devices for towing, four-wheeling. I felt like a woman studmuffin in that thing. Well, the first day or so that I'm driving the jeep, I'm heading up a steep hill and pop that bad boy into 5th gear. I proceed to climb the hill at about 20 miles an hour and can't figure out why I'm going so slow. But, always optimistic, I just wave at the other cars flying by me at normal speeds while cursing the fact that I'm ruining my cool-car-driver image. Ah yes, as my brother instructs me later, downshift to go up steep hills. Ah, yes. Just like a bicycle. Two: Today I had a doctor's appt in downtown Birmingham. I, of course, needed money for the meter. But, every coin except 4 small pennies, were located in my back jean's pocket on the floor of my bedroom. You see, last night I collected every coin around in order to play games at the Hallelujah party. So, I'm searching under the car seats, in the glove box, in the CD cases. There are no coins. Should I risk getting a ticket? No, there goes the little ticket lady. Hmmm, maybe I can ask someone. Ah yes, here comes someone. Sir, can I have a dime? I think I have one. Yes, here you go. Great, thank you!! Did I mention that the man appeared to be a homeless man?! Alison, you took a dime from a homeless person?!
There. I have verified the fact that I am 'special.' As if we needed proof...

No comments: