Friday, October 19, 2007

take me there

Today another wave crashed. I sensed its coming and felt the water rush over me tonight. I'm not afraid of the waves anymore. They are overwhelming for a while, but I can now cling to the knowledge that the water always subsides and fresh air comes again. And while I don't necessarily enjoy the crashing waves, I can appreciate their purpose. I know that I am being challenged and refined and made stronger. I know to whom I look for strength. And I have learned that there is nothing amiss in feeling the wave, all of it, and not running from it. Because there is no way around, no good way. The only way is straight through and underneath. So, I accept the water and feeling of panic and the swirling foam and the sense of being in solitude, but not alone. And yet, while I write nice, fancy words about the waves, I long for a period of absence, for I am tired and weary.

Tonight was another evening of simply praying for God to wrap me up. I want to feel Him. And, of course, He answered. I hung out with my little sister again tonight. She asked me if I was glad I got her as a little sister. I could not be more delighted. And she told me how glad she is that I'm her big sister. That she wishes we could be real sisters. And as we were walking through the Vestavia Rave, she jumped up on the concrete that surrounds the flowers and starting dancing away to the music playing on the speakers. And so we danced and danced. We danced to Backstreet Boys and did ballet moves to slow songs. And then we finished up with swing moves. And she loves the twirls, where one person twirls the other person in and out. And as I twirled her in, I got a big hug and as I twirled her out, I got a huge smile. And I began to realize that I need Brigid as much as she needs me. In our delight in life and each other, I could feel the Lord and I was thankful.

No comments: