Saturday, October 6, 2007
wwuuuvvvv, truwww wwwuuuuvvvv
So, the nephews blog as promised. This past summer, Warren, Mike, and I went backpacking for a weekend. We hiked out on the last day and Mike and I waited in the parking lots with the packs while Warren went to get the car. While we were waiting, several hikers arrived with their dogs, none of which were on leashes. All of the sudden, two of the dogs got into a vicious fight very close to us. I tried to wedge Mike in the middle of the packs and wrapped my arms around him to use my body as a shield. Luckily, one of the owners stepped in the middle of the dogs and broke them apart. But, it was so close and terrifying. At some point during the fight, Mike whispered, 'Aunt Alison, what should we do?' He was scared, I was scared, and I didn't know what to do. I just knew that I wanted Mike to be safe. More than anything, more than myself, I needed to protect him. And, although, I was frightened, it was a wonderful feeling. I think there are several people in this world that I would take wounds for just to ensure their safety. But that's just in theory. This was a gut response to a real-life situation. I wanted Mike to be safe and I knew that I would take a dog bite to my body over one to his precious little self. I liked that feeling. Those four little guys have my heart (and I think they know it!).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment