Thursday, October 18, 2007

On your mark, get set

I have never been one for long debates. Actually, I've never been one for short debates either. I don't like what feels like arguing to me. I prefer, if necessary, to hear the other person's point-of-view, state my own, and move on. Perhaps because I've always had simple answers. My faith is based on Jesus and love. For me, relationships are built on communication and trust. I vote for the person I think will do the best job. As stated previously, I stand on love on any contraversial issue.
I think Eliabeth Gilbert says it well. "In a world of disorder and disaster and fraud, sometimes only beauty can be trusted. Only artistic excellence is incorruptible. Pleasure cannot be bargained down. And sometimes the meal is the only currency that is real."
In my social work degree, I am focusing on children and adolescents. There is something devasting about studying the issues affecting children. Some of the same things affect adults, yet it's different when it's a child. I study sexual abuse and post-traumatic stress disorder and disease and health insurance and on and on. And there are moments when I wonder 'what's the use?' Our world is so broken and hurting. And the answers are huge and unfinished and overwhelming. Remember, I like simplicity. So, for me, I have to break it down. And remember that I cannot save the world and every child ever wounded. But, if I can help a few. Love a few. Hope for a few. Be beauty for a few. Then, I will have made a difference and that is a start.

No comments: