Saturday, October 27, 2007

Ribbit

I think we've probably all gotten lots of gifts in our lives. There are Christmas presents, Easter baskets, birthday gifts. But, then there are those gifts that are perfect, the "I-know-you-and-when-I-saw-this-I-just-had-to-give-it-to-you-gifts." Last night, my dear friend, Natalie, gave me a sky blue blanket from Honduras. We spent two fun-filled weeks together in Honduras this past summer and on her way out, she saw the blanket and thought of me. I wrapped myself up in it for a nap this afternoon. And this afternoon as I was hiking through Oak Mountain, I would stop every now and then to pick up a beautiful orange or yellow or red leaf. I do this every fall as the leaves change color and release from the trees. I was reminded of a gift I received during college from a dear friend. I had been studying all afternoon and took a little break. When I came back to my room, there were two of the most beautiful leaves I had ever seen sitting on my computer. Such joy to have someone notice my habit and join in my game! And one last gift. As I sit here tonight I'm wearing obnoxious green frog king socks. (You'll just have to see them.) I love these socks and wear them inside the house when the weather turns cooler. Mike got these for me a couple of years ago. He picked them out all by himself for his Aunt Alison. He must have been about 4 years old. So, I wear them and smile every time I pull the little froggies over my toes. I like gifts like these. Spontaneous and full of connection to another human being.

No comments: