Finally, I got to watch a winning football game. This fall I have been to more football games than I probably have in my entire life. I've watched Auburn lose, the Titans lose to the Colts, and BSC lost the homecoming game on Saturday. But, yesterday, finally, the Titans pulled out over the Falcons. I've never really been much of a football fan. But, I'm actually starting to like it. At least, I like being at the game. I still don't like watching football on TV. I must say that I felt like a true American at the Titans vs. Colts game. There was something really cool about being at the "American" sporting event. No other countries really care that much about football. So, there I was next to my brother, father, sister-in-law, and 70,000 other fans. And I was really proud to put my hand over my heart, listen to Sara Evans sing the most beautiful rendition I have ever heard of the national anthem, and just go crazy when the fireworks go off and the fighter jets flew over over heads during the 'land of the free and the home of the brave!' It was a neat moment. However, I must say that I usually laugh at least once during a football game at what a funny sport it is. I mean really, one ball and a bunch of guys knocking each other down all over the field. I simply cannot imagine running down the field knowing that at any moment some 300 pound dude is going to come toss my body onto the ground. I would run away screaming before my body was mutilated. I enjoy my health and my intact bones and ligaments. Maybe next year. I also laughed yesterday at the couple sitting next to Dad and me. It was a guy chowing down on a turkey leg (which generally grosses me out) and drinking beer faster than I could drink water and his barbie doll girlfriend. I don't think she even knew there was a ball game going on. They were a hoot.
Speaking of which, my father is a hoot. He simply doesn't care what people think about him. I love that. I think of all the lessons he has taught me, this is one that I hold most dear. I remember precisely when the lesson took place too. Dad and I were in the airport and he was doing his silly Egyptian walk and I got embarassed and asked him to quit. He told me that I didn't need to worry about what other people thought. It just didn't matter. And it doesn't. I can't say I always succeed at not worrying, but I try. Anyway, Dad was his normal self yesterday. He blew kisses into the air when the Titans did a good job, he waved at some horses that policemen where definitely sitting on, he stole an orange cone because Brad needs one, and he sneezed louder than you could possibly imagine. And the funny thing is, everyone loves my father. He is successful, yet not presumptious. He is wise, yet not imposing. He is generous, yet not forceful. Obviously, I think the world of him. And I'm thankful to be at a point where it is possible to really appreciate 'older' people, especially my parents. I am at a point where I know that I don't know everything. I am at a huge transitional period in life and I am thankful for the wisdom of those who have gone before and managed this life successfully. I thought that I would arrive at a place where I understood life and how to do this crazy thing. But, I haven't and I won't. My life is my journey. And I realize that no one knows how to do this life thing. You just do the best you can. That's what my parents did and I think I came out just fine along with my brothers. When Mike asked me what we should do in the middle of the dog fight, I didn't know for sure. I just knew to follow my instinct and protect him. So, I just follow my instinct. I listen to the wisdom of those around, pick what's right for me, and ultimately, follow the wisdom that resides in me as well.
Monday, October 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Every time I read your posts, it sounds like you are just brimming with new revelations to the point of exploding with knowledge and understanding. It is quite exciting, really.
Post a Comment